Nevins residents in Londonderry see public walking trail as wrong turn
For Nevins residents, however, that trail promised by developer Elmer Pease a decade ago no longer makes much sense. And although nobody in town is pushing for construction of the trail, dozens of residents attended Monday’s Town Council meeting to voice their concerns.
William Graser, one of the community’s first residents, said he likewise hopes the trail never gets built.
Pease, who is no longer involved in the project, had initially proposed a much larger and non-age restrictive development that town officials felt would have placed an enormous burden on the school district. “So we negotiated,” Town Councilor Tom Dolan said.
Many of the Nevins residents said they were told the trail would never get built.
Hollis said the trail is being proposed for a 25-foot easement circling the community and in some spots would lead walkers though people’s back yards and directly under bedroom windows.
Hollis said the community’s board of directors has held several informal meetings, where the overwhelming majority objected to a public trail.
“But that doesn’t solve this issue, because the walking trail is now referenced in the town’s open space plan,” Hollis said.
Council Chairman John Farrell said the situation is unfortunate and dates to a time when “the community was trying to connect walking trails throughout the town.”
Councilors agreed to continue this week’s public hearing to next month and in the meantime work toward finding a solution with the help of the town’s attorneys.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pinkerton contract defeat leads to talk of new school in Hooksett - 0
- Telling Your Family Story returns to Loeb School - 0
- Salem Public Works employee says she was harassed - 0
- Saul O Sidore Lecture Series at PSU presents Thomas F. Lee 'The Promises and Perils of the New Biology' - 0
- 'Shrek' to be Prescott Park Arts Festival's 2014 Summer Musical - 0
- Win tickets to see Billy Idol - 0
- Win tickets to see Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience - 0
- Elton John's greatest hits on the big screen - 0
- Show revives '80s with colorful fashions, signature pop, metal, rock - 0
Win tickets to see Billy Idol
Slopeside with Kathleen Baglio Humphreys: Gaining independence back through adaptive skiing
Win tickets to see Bruno Mars!
Win tickets to see Craig Ferguson
Win tickets to see Jillian Michaels
Win tickets to see Rusted Root & The Wailers
No dice: House kills casino gambling bill
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to announce exploratory committee for U.S. Senate run