Home » News » Public Safety
Man saved woman, hopes Manchester police will find hit-and-run driver
Abraham Santiago describes how he pushed a woman out of harm's way and was injured himself Sunday in a hit-and-run accident on Union Street in Manchester. (MARK HAYWARD / UNION LEADER)
The impact sent Abraham Santiago, 23, 10 feet up into the air and briefly knocked him out. The vehicle, described by witnesses as a dark-colored Explorer or Expedition, did not stop.
The incident happened about 2 a.m. Sunday at Union and Central streets. Santiago was at a party when his friend, Geanary Arroyo, 20, began crying and left the gathering.
She said she was just ahead of Santiago as they crossed Union Street, and didn't notice the vehicle until Santiago said something.
"I looked and I just saw lights," she said. "Then I was on the ground. I turned around and I looked and I saw the car hit him."
"It didn't even brake," she said of the SUV. "It just hit him and kept driving, like it was nothing."
Lt. Maureen Tessier said there were witnesses who confirmed Santiago's account.
Santiago believes the SUV was a 1998 Ford Expedition with a grille outlined in gold trim.
He's hoping the driver, if caught, will have insurance to cover his medical bills.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
- Wakefield woman dies in crash; Rye woman crashes into utility pole - 0
- Wakefield woman killed in Milton crash - 0
- Portsmouth police locate, arrest driver after accident - 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
- Plaistow police chief passes away after battle with cancer - 0
- Fire damages building at Jaffrey transfer station - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bonners host charity music festival in Portsmouth - 0
- He knows the Memorial Wall, name by name - 0
- NH to host New England governors, Eastern Canadian premiers in Mount Washington - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain