Home » News » Public Safety
Man saved woman, hopes Manchester police will find hit-and-run driver
Abraham Santiago describes how he pushed a woman out of harm's way and was injured himself Sunday in a hit-and-run accident on Union Street in Manchester. (MARK HAYWARD / UNION LEADER)
The impact sent Abraham Santiago, 23, 10 feet up into the air and briefly knocked him out. The vehicle, described by witnesses as a dark-colored Explorer or Expedition, did not stop.
The incident happened about 2 a.m. Sunday at Union and Central streets. Santiago was at a party when his friend, Geanary Arroyo, 20, began crying and left the gathering.
She said she was just ahead of Santiago as they crossed Union Street, and didn't notice the vehicle until Santiago said something.
"I looked and I just saw lights," she said. "Then I was on the ground. I turned around and I looked and I saw the car hit him."
"It didn't even brake," she said of the SUV. "It just hit him and kept driving, like it was nothing."
Lt. Maureen Tessier said there were witnesses who confirmed Santiago's account.
Santiago believes the SUV was a 1998 Ford Expedition with a grille outlined in gold trim.
He's hoping the driver, if caught, will have insurance to cover his medical bills.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 38
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads