Manchester elementary students may see other schools due to crowding
At the start of the school year, nearly two dozen classes in kindergarten through grade 5 were overcrowded by state standards, which set a limit of 25 pupils in grades K-2, and 30 students in grades 3 and above.
Livingston said she was still working with parents and principals to finalize the changes, which would take effect next Monday and would bring all elementary school class sizes within the state limits.
If more than 25 or 30 students enroll, the “principal will call the district office, and we’ll make the decision where the child will go,” Livingston said. She added that in the case of siblings, all would be given the option of transferring to the same school.
“Great job, thank you for the information,” Mayor Ted Gatsas said.
Pointing to the handouts distributed by Livingston, the board’s vice chairman, Dave Gelinas, said, “This is one of the best reports I’ve seen in a while. It’s very innovative.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Comedian Joan Rivers dead at age 81 says daughter - 0
- U.S. says Islamic State video of journalist's killing is authentic - 0
- No paper on Monday; check UnionLeader.com for updated, breaking news - 0
- Concord attorney Leahy dies - 0
- Robin Williams’ ashes are scattered in San Francisco Bay - 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 0
- Ex-Nashua deputy police chief sues city and outgoing police chief - 0
- Shaheen, Brown supporters gather at final debate - 1
- Senate candidates sharply divided on Islamic threat, Ebola, Obamacare - 15
- Stocks up on GDP, earnings - 0
- Rocket blast damps Orbital as commercial space rush lures rivals - 0
- GT Advanced, Apple try to keep lid on COO's comments - 0
- Former Farmington fire chief waives arraignment on theft charges - 0
- $50k bail for two charged with beating pizza delivery man - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer
School's out for voters