Manchester elementary students may see other schools due to crowding
At the start of the school year, nearly two dozen classes in kindergarten through grade 5 were overcrowded by state standards, which set a limit of 25 pupils in grades K-2, and 30 students in grades 3 and above.
Livingston said she was still working with parents and principals to finalize the changes, which would take effect next Monday and would bring all elementary school class sizes within the state limits.
If more than 25 or 30 students enroll, the “principal will call the district office, and we’ll make the decision where the child will go,” Livingston said. She added that in the case of siblings, all would be given the option of transferring to the same school.
“Great job, thank you for the information,” Mayor Ted Gatsas said.
Pointing to the handouts distributed by Livingston, the board’s vice chairman, Dave Gelinas, said, “This is one of the best reports I’ve seen in a while. It’s very innovative.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former NH state trooper gets new state job after 2010 conviction - 18
- Public hearing is set in Portsmouth on plan to beddown 12 KC-46A aircraft - 0
- U.N. denies reports representative in Ukraine seized in Crimea - 0
- Frigid weather has maple producers expecting a 'couple of weeks' delay - 0
- NH Motor Speedway founder selling lakeside estate for NH-record $49 million - 7
- Crotched Mountain honors its farming roots with tree farm honor - 0
- 'Our lost duck friends' remembered - 23
- UPDATE: America selects Preston for top 13 in "American Idol" - 0
- UPDATE: Mont Vernon man chosen as ‘American Idol’ top 20 contestant - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 2
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 6
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 3
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief