Ocean Discovery Day
NH students educated, inspired during Ocean Discovery Day at UNH
Inside, students had a chance to operate an underwater robot in the massive deep-water tank while outside they learned about plankton, marine mammals, and had a chance to dissect squid, a popular activity among students of all ages.
UNH Marine Docents, volunteers from a variety of coastal organizations, as well as faculty with the new UNH Marine Program, manned the many work stations and did their best to impart their knowledge and excitement to the students.
This includes students interested in engineering and computer science.
Members of the public can also tune in online when a research vessel is out to sea and follow along with what their underwater robots are seeing.Jake Malatesta, 14, and Jack Fogarty, 14, both eighth-graders at Moultonborough Academy, said they were intrigued by a demonstration on oil flume testing, and a discussion about how trash in the ocean is discovered and dealt with.
He said he thinks the visit will inspire students to keep the ocean clean and get more involved in ocean-related activities.
Mary Fougere, a science teacher at Gilmanton School, said she also likes that her students are exposed to many other adults working in the field, and other teachers agreed that the hands-on exposure offered more than they could ever present inside the four walls of a classroom."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
- Loeb School spring classes offer career-change chance - 0
- 'Mathletes' chosen to represent NH in national competition - 1
- Pembroke Academy wants to help at-risk students - 0
- From Russia, with love of numbers at Nashua school - 0
- Great Bay Community College 'boot camp' trains students in precision manufacturing - 0
- Cyber defense competition coming to University of New Hampshire - 0
- Dartmouth College mourns sudden death of student - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- No dice: House kills casino gambling bill - 0
- Poetry Out Loud championship rescheduled due to storm - 0
- Portsmouth buildings evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 0
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 4
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal