Derry's Pinkerton Academy looks at narrowing dress code
“The kids are all abuzz about this,” Dean of Students Glenn Ahrens said, adding, “There are a lot of options within those parameters.”
Ahrens said during an on-campus fashion show earlier this year, Student Council members modeled clothing that would be allowed under the proposed dress code, including polo shirts and even a sweater vest.
A parents’ meeting to discuss the dress code is set for Thursday at the school.
Despite having the word “Unified” in the name, the dress code is not a uniform, administrators said.
Pinkerton Academy students Joe Ronca and his sister, Alyssa Ronca, said they have mixed emotions about the proposed changes. “I would rather wear my own clothes to be honest, and some of the stuff they’ve given us to choose from is not the most attractive and appealing,” Alyssa Ronca, a freshman, said. “But it’s not that big of a deal. It will make getting ready easier.”Her brother is a junior.
“A lot of it is left to interpretation,” the elder Ronca said. “So I’d rather have a dress code; that way it’s cut and dried.”
“They aren’t going to the beach; they are coming to school, and they have to be dressed appropriately,” Anderson said.
“We have a dress code now, but the kids push the limits,” Anderson said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
- Loeb School spring classes offer career-change chance - 0
- 'Mathletes' chosen to represent NH in national competition - 1
- Pembroke Academy wants to help at-risk students - 0
- From Russia, with love of numbers at Nashua school - 0
- Great Bay Community College 'boot camp' trains students in precision manufacturing - 0
- Cyber defense competition coming to University of New Hampshire - 0
- Dartmouth College mourns sudden death of student - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- No dice: House kills casino gambling bill - 0
- Poetry Out Loud championship rescheduled due to storm - 0
- Portsmouth buildings evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 0
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 4
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to announce exploratory committee for U.S. Senate run
No dice: House kills casino gambling bill
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal