Girl Scouts join Rye beach cleanup
Girl Scouts Cassie Levesque, 14, of Barrington, left , and Sherrie Crispo, 12, joined about 80 other Girl Scouts in the annual Coastal Clean Up Day event on Saturday. (GRETYL MACALASTER PHOTO)
For more than 16 years, Girl Scouts have been helping with International Coastal Cleanup Day, the world's largest day of volunteerism focused on the oceans.
The girls said they felt good about helping the earth.Quinn Moore, 12, a Cadet Girl Scout from Raymond said she is never surprised that there is trash on the beach.
Neil Savage, a longtime volunteer with the Girl Scouts, and a longtime organizer of the Coastal Rompers program said more than 100 countries participate in the international cleanup day each year during the third weekend in September. The international event is organized by the Ocean Conservancy. The Blue Ocean Society for Marine Conservation coordinates the New Hampshire event.
"The idea is to have almost like a snapshot of the ocean refuse all around the world, so we want to count at the same time," Savage said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vendors ready to serve NASCAR fans this weekend - 0
- Bedford's South River Road plan laid out - 0
- Conceptual plan for Bedford complex presented Monday - 0
- Bedford to decide on sewer/water line extension - 0
- Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales - 0
- Windham board says high school access station needs updating - 0
- Nashua organizers looking to fall for celebration - 0
- Former Claremont Moose Lodge seeking to reopen as Eagles aerie - 0
- Windham considering policy on graduation attire after student's request to wear military sash - 0
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Bedford's South River Road plan laid out
Win tickets to see Austin Mahone
Something for everyone at the Speedway
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release