Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: War photos and salty language
This is definitely where a picture is worth a thousand words, minimum. Almost all of the photos are iconic, like the one of the little girl running from a napalm attack. Some clear up misconceptions, like that same napalm photo. (Many people think it was an American air attack. It was in fact a South Vietnamese mixup.)
Okay, "BS" was actually spelled out, as two words, in fact. One was "bull."
This caught my eye, as did the fact the writer had the Moxie to identify himself, which I appreciate.
He shouldn't be. The changes mean we reduce the Saturday night printing most weeks to just two main sections, including live news and sports. It means less chance of longer press runs on a night when our carriers are delivering the biggest package of the week to readers across the state.
The realignment also puts our Sunday editorial pages in the same section as business news. This also upset my "BS" writer, though he didn't say why. It seems to me a good place for editorial commentary, but the reader said that "Bill Lobe" was going to be waiting for me in the next life and I wouldn't like it much.
Rumor has it that autumn has arrived. That means the Deerfield Fair must be coming this weekend. I think I'll take Ike, Mike, and Spike. They might have a few comments to make on the fair.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Some dance, others judge - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: When a tattoo is no longer for you - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Lessons learned on the ice - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Ali Baba Whole Foods Festival is exotic, and right next door - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Artists invited to make utility boxes beautiful - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Grappone Automotive Group owner not afraid to go her own way - 1
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Queen City to host movie? - 1
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Palace Theatre is in search of its history - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Fratello's lends helping hand Christmas Day - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact - 0
- NHIAA Hockey Roundup: John Stark-Hopkinton eliminates Portsmouth - 0
- Livingston scores twice as Monarchs top Providence - 0
- NHIAA Basketball: Bedford girls top Trinity to advance - 0
- Ham radio introduction and class - 0
- NHIAA Hockey: Bedford rolls past Lebanon, into D-II semis - 0
- NHIAA Hockey: Sprague nets hat trick to lead Central past Trinity - 0
- Mass. ER staffers to describe day of Boston Marathon bombings - 0
- College Roundup: UNH men ousted from hoop tourney - 0
George Will: The face of IRS behavior
Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin?
Charles Krauthammer: The wages of weakness
Two-alarm blaze at vacant building in Nashua