Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: War photos and salty language
This is definitely where a picture is worth a thousand words, minimum. Almost all of the photos are iconic, like the one of the little girl running from a napalm attack. Some clear up misconceptions, like that same napalm photo. (Many people think it was an American air attack. It was in fact a South Vietnamese mixup.)
Okay, "BS" was actually spelled out, as two words, in fact. One was "bull."
This caught my eye, as did the fact the writer had the Moxie to identify himself, which I appreciate.
He shouldn't be. The changes mean we reduce the Saturday night printing most weeks to just two main sections, including live news and sports. It means less chance of longer press runs on a night when our carriers are delivering the biggest package of the week to readers across the state.
The realignment also puts our Sunday editorial pages in the same section as business news. This also upset my "BS" writer, though he didn't say why. It seems to me a good place for editorial commentary, but the reader said that "Bill Lobe" was going to be waiting for me in the next life and I wouldn't like it much.
Rumor has it that autumn has arrived. That means the Deerfield Fair must be coming this weekend. I think I'll take Ike, Mike, and Spike. They might have a few comments to make on the fair.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Frustrations aside, my thanks, plow guys - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Lot in a name, so we want to get them right - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Any meaning to groundhog predictions? - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Glad to get emails; well, one of 'em, anyway - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Strange stories? This one takes the cake - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Bank, with our help, putting kids in action - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Despite size, UNH a whirlwind of activity - 2
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Smaug? Desolation? Movie offers plenty of time to think (about something else) - 3
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A momentous year for these newspapers - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Yet another must-win scenario for men's hockey team - 0
- Nashua mayor to aldermen: Don’t alter rules on city contracts - 0
- Merrimack-Trinity semifinal to be followed by Memorial-Central in Div. I basketball - 0
- Pinkerton-Londonderry rivalry set for Div. I hockey semifinal - 0
- 'Mathletes' chosen to represent NH in national competition - 0
- Parking lot study to go before Peterborough voters - 0
- Former Derry Town Administrator John Anderson asks judge to dismiss charges - 0
- Board of Education to vote on Nashua North High principal - 0
- Pembroke Academy wants to help at-risk students - 0
For New Hampshire towns, it’s time to vote
Planned Parenthood funds S&M Web video
Blue shame: Obamacare's big change
NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact
Ted Siefer's City Hall: It was all about chickens, alleged threats and nocturnal wanderings