Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: War photos and salty language
This is definitely where a picture is worth a thousand words, minimum. Almost all of the photos are iconic, like the one of the little girl running from a napalm attack. Some clear up misconceptions, like that same napalm photo. (Many people think it was an American air attack. It was in fact a South Vietnamese mixup.)
Okay, "BS" was actually spelled out, as two words, in fact. One was "bull."
This caught my eye, as did the fact the writer had the Moxie to identify himself, which I appreciate.
He shouldn't be. The changes mean we reduce the Saturday night printing most weeks to just two main sections, including live news and sports. It means less chance of longer press runs on a night when our carriers are delivering the biggest package of the week to readers across the state.
The realignment also puts our Sunday editorial pages in the same section as business news. This also upset my "BS" writer, though he didn't say why. It seems to me a good place for editorial commentary, but the reader said that "Bill Lobe" was going to be waiting for me in the next life and I wouldn't like it much.
Rumor has it that autumn has arrived. That means the Deerfield Fair must be coming this weekend. I think I'll take Ike, Mike, and Spike. They might have a few comments to make on the fair.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester schools cut classes short for Wednesday due to weather - 2
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 1
- Enrollments declining in Hudson, but school budget increases still expected - 0
- New NHIA president painting a picture of expansion - 0
- Former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be president of Franklin Pierce College - 3
- Students prepare to set sail at Tri-City Christian Academy - 0
- Local teacher makes trip to arctic - 0
- Teacher 'thrilled' at being reinstated - 7
- Scholar of the Month: Plymouth junior operates on 'full-sprint theory' - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
- Dave Solomon's Power Plays: Who knew what and when in PSNH scrubber case? - 0
- Story of Marine Memorial at Hampton Beach begins with Bill Downs - 0
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- Puritans in America: Daniel Webster on religion's role - 0
- Mitt Romney is out front, but says he's not running again - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record