Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: War photos and salty language
This is definitely where a picture is worth a thousand words, minimum. Almost all of the photos are iconic, like the one of the little girl running from a napalm attack. Some clear up misconceptions, like that same napalm photo. (Many people think it was an American air attack. It was in fact a South Vietnamese mixup.)
Okay, "BS" was actually spelled out, as two words, in fact. One was "bull."
This caught my eye, as did the fact the writer had the Moxie to identify himself, which I appreciate.
He shouldn't be. The changes mean we reduce the Saturday night printing most weeks to just two main sections, including live news and sports. It means less chance of longer press runs on a night when our carriers are delivering the biggest package of the week to readers across the state.
The realignment also puts our Sunday editorial pages in the same section as business news. This also upset my "BS" writer, though he didn't say why. It seems to me a good place for editorial commentary, but the reader said that "Bill Lobe" was going to be waiting for me in the next life and I wouldn't like it much.
Rumor has it that autumn has arrived. That means the Deerfield Fair must be coming this weekend. I think I'll take Ike, Mike, and Spike. They might have a few comments to make on the fair.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- All lives matter: Even Al Sharpton says so - 15
- Taxi fail: City regulations don't work - 14
- Nanny knows best? Don't count on it - 2
- Walmart traffic: Does the city have a plan? - 4
- Politicizing rape: An injustice for everyone - 9
- NH House choices: Jasper makes good selections - 12
- Better federal budgeting: GOP's chance to show it can govern - 6
- Pension politics: NH needs leadership - 14
- What would Jack Bauer do with these wusses? - 26
READER COMMENTS: 9
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK? - 1
- Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week - 7
- NHIAA Div. I Boys' Basketball Preview: Memorial, Central look to be in the mix again - 0
- Innovations abound at UNH event - 0
- Rinne wins duel with Rask as Predators edge Bruins - 0
- One-alarm fire kept to chimney area of Bridgewater home - 0
- Monarchs head to Portland Wednesday - 0
- Nashua woman hurt in Pelham crash - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Pembroke girls rally to win - 0
Rival NH Republican caucus seeks own voice
Bush 41, 43 and ... 45?
Another View -- David Scannell: A justified federal civil rights action in Manchester's schools
Taxi fail: City regulations don't work
All lives matter: Even Al Sharpton says so
Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week
Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK?
Police arrest pair after bullets fly