Home » Sports » Sports Columns
John Habib's City Sports: City champ eyes state title
"I've been coaching for 10 seasons, and Matt is definitely the best player I've coached," said Tafe. "In his very first high school match, at Green Meadow (in Hudson), he won medalist. In his second match, at Souhegan Woods (in Amherst), he won medalist again. It just blew my mind away."
He has finished runner-up the last two seasons in the NHIAA tournament to current Texas Christian University freshman Chelso Barrett of Surry, who won New Hampshire Union Leader Athlete of the Month honors for August after reaching the round of 16 in the U.S. Amateur and winning the New Hampshire Golf Association Stroke Play Championship that month.
In June, he reached the final of NHGA Junior Championship before falling to Tom Hixon of Rye in an 18-hole match play championship flight battle. On Labor Day Weekend, he won the three-round Manchester Men's City Golf Championship, topping runner-up Jake Nutter of Bedford by seven strokes.
Paradis called the city championship the "highlight of my career so far" and said his uncle Bob Vigneault helped him maintain the kind of even keel Tafe described.
Tafe noted that few high school students have won the Manchester city title, Nutter among them.
He doesn't know yet if he'll continue playing at the college level next season.
- - - - - - -
FOR THE THIRD straight season Dick Lutsk of Manchester will be the radio voice of Dartmouth College.
"City Sports" is published Saturdays in the New Hampshire Union Leader. Email staff reporter John Habib at email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Johnson poised to win sixth Sprint Cup crown - 0
- Hamlin on pole for Sunday's Goody's 500 at Martinsville - 0
- Truck Series will return to Loudon Sept. 20 - 0
- McMurray winsat Talladega.; Jimmie Johnson takes Chase lead - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Ford Fall Brawl has plenty of big names - 0
- NHMS gets Sprint Cup schedule; trucks returning - 2
- Brad Keselowski outduels Kasey Kahne to return to victory lane - 0
- Harvick takes Kansas; Kenseth’s Nascar Sprint Cup lead dented - 0
- Pines Speedway Reunion set in Groveland, Mass. - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Kicking game could play crucial role for UNH - 0
- State settles $24.5M lawsuit to force help for mentally ill - 0
- Groton Wind turbines slated to start turning again shortly - 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Hooksett man convicted in fatal boating accident - 0
- Man awarded $250K in sexual assault at medical center - 0
Ice storm threatens the region
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass