Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Jays deal Buchholz his first loss of the season
Buehrle (12-9) allowed one run on five hits while striking out five and two relievers bridged the gap to Casey Janssen, who struck out a pair in the ninth for his 33rd save.
Rajai Davis singled in a run and Brett Lawrie added a pair of hits for the Blue Jays.
Clay Buchholz (11-1) was charged with three runs (two earned) on six hits in six innings to suffer his first loss of the season for the Red Sox, who gave a handful of regulars the night off after Friday's division-clinching victory.
Toronto did most of its damage in the fourth inning against Buchholz, starting when Lawrie delivered a two-out single and came in on Lind's double. Moises Sierra and Davis followed with back-to-back singles and Buchholz's own error allowed a third run to cross.
Jonny Gomes singled in a run in the sixth but Buehrle got Daniel Nava to ground into a double play to kill a potential rally.
Rookie Xander Bogaerts scored on a groundout in the seventh to cut it to 3-2 before J.P. Arencibia's RBI single in the ninth provided some breathing room.
GAME NOTEBOOK: The Red Sox gave regulars 2B Dustin Pedroia, C Jarrod Saltalamacchia and 1B Mike Napoli the night off. Will Middlebrooks made his first career start at 1B while John McDonald made his first start for Boston at 2B. David Ross filled in at C. ... The Blue Jays placed CF Colby Rasmus on the disabled list, ending his season. Rasmus was hit in the face by a ball on Friday on his way out to warm up before the bottom of the first inning. ... Red Sox CF Jacoby Ellsbury (broken foot) ran and hit off a tee before the game. He could take batting practice in the cage on Sunday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 'Hour of Code' taps student creativity - 1
- Fired Epping children's librarian gets public hearing - 0
- Hillsborough district names its Teacher of Year - 0
- Nashua Board of Education signals new leadership - 0
- PSU adjunct faculty members approve three-year contract - 0
- UNH, trustees seek to reverse arbitrator's decision to reinstate professor - 13
- NH students take part in computer education week - 0
- Math world stunned by UNH lecturer's find - 3
- Consultant report on UNH Manchester issues almost done - 4
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Quick thinking closes the door on Somersworth fire - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child