Roger Simon: Biden remains mysterious on 2016
But it was more of what he didn't say that counted.
For her, Biden had not a single word.
Is it because he intends to run against her? Or that he just forgot? Or that he couldn't name everybody in government - though Biden sometimes seems to try?
Turning to Castro, Biden said, "It seems when you come to speak at the steak fry, a whole lot of people take notice. I don't know why the hell that is. You've attracted the entire national press corps!"
At breakfast Sunday, attended by two reporters from The Washington Post and me, Castro said, "My hope is that Hillary and Biden work it out. Should we have a primary fight? Of course not!"
A 2016 primary battle between Biden and Clinton might merely be a press-driven fantasy, of course. There is no doubt both have earned the right to run, but there is no assurance that either will. And if Hillary decided to run, would her prospects of victory be so daunting that Biden wouldn't even think of challenging her?
After a goofy photo op - Harkin, Biden and Castro holding steaks on spatulas over an enormous roaring grill - a reporter asked Biden whether he is ready for 2016.
That would be nice for the Democrats but far from assured. They could lose seats in both houses rather than gain them.
But Castro was certain that time favors his party.
Roger Simon is Politico's chief political columnist.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Johnson poised to win sixth Sprint Cup crown - 0
- Hamlin on pole for Sunday's Goody's 500 at Martinsville - 0
- Truck Series will return to Loudon Sept. 20 - 0
- McMurray winsat Talladega.; Jimmie Johnson takes Chase lead - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Ford Fall Brawl has plenty of big names - 0
- NHMS gets Sprint Cup schedule; trucks returning - 2
- Brad Keselowski outduels Kasey Kahne to return to victory lane - 0
- Harvick takes Kansas; Kenseth’s Nascar Sprint Cup lead dented - 0
- Pines Speedway Reunion set in Groveland, Mass. - 0
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up