Roger Simon: Biden remains mysterious on 2016
But it was more of what he didn't say that counted.
For her, Biden had not a single word.
Is it because he intends to run against her? Or that he just forgot? Or that he couldn't name everybody in government - though Biden sometimes seems to try?
Turning to Castro, Biden said, "It seems when you come to speak at the steak fry, a whole lot of people take notice. I don't know why the hell that is. You've attracted the entire national press corps!"
At breakfast Sunday, attended by two reporters from The Washington Post and me, Castro said, "My hope is that Hillary and Biden work it out. Should we have a primary fight? Of course not!"
A 2016 primary battle between Biden and Clinton might merely be a press-driven fantasy, of course. There is no doubt both have earned the right to run, but there is no assurance that either will. And if Hillary decided to run, would her prospects of victory be so daunting that Biden wouldn't even think of challenging her?
After a goofy photo op - Harkin, Biden and Castro holding steaks on spatulas over an enormous roaring grill - a reporter asked Biden whether he is ready for 2016.
That would be nice for the Democrats but far from assured. They could lose seats in both houses rather than gain them.
But Castro was certain that time favors his party.
Roger Simon is Politico's chief political columnist.
READER COMMENTS: 8
- Pat Buchanan: What would Reagan do with Russia, Syria, etc.? - 5
- Deroy Murdock: Wisconsin's Scott Walker calmly leads the way - 4
- Another View - Pam Hunt and Loren Valliere: Local steps can fight climate change in NH - 20
- Another View -- Nick Pappas: NH teens, young adults will be hurt by a minimum wage hike - 7
- Another View -- Michelline Dufort: Consumers would save if PSNH sold its power plants - 0
- Fergus Cullen -- Innis: school to business to Congress? - 6
- John Stossel: Taxing life away - 2
- Rep. Tom Schamberg: If you want lower property taxes, support casinos - 19
- George Will: A constitutional convention to limit Washington? - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hollis police say stun gun needed on ‘unruly’ man - 0
- Authorities detonate suspicious package left near Boston Marathon finish line on one-year anniversary of bombing - 0
- Flooding shuts down North Country highways - 0
- Officials say Northfield man presumed drowned after 'Polar Plunge' - 0
- Legislative committees move 4.2-cent-per-gallon gas tax increase closer to reality - 6
- Northfield man presumed dead after 'Polar Plunge' in Bristol - 1
- Power restored to downtown Manchester - 0
- Supreme Court: Liquor Commission, trial judge did not follow right-to-know law - 1
- Driver identified in fatal Northumberland crash - 0
Flooding shuts down North Country highways
Premium spike: Obamacare costs NH
Authorities detonate suspicious package left near Boston Marathon finish line on one-year anniversary of bombing
Rep. Shea-Porter honored for efforts to aid in health care by National Association of Community Health Centers