Home » Sports » Motor Sports
Latest racing grudge fans passions
From left, Dave Hamm, of Attleboro, Mass., Mark Dupont, of Taunton, Mass., Dennis Hamm, of Raynham, Mass., and John Kazarian, of N. Providence, R.I., stand at attention during the National Anthem prior to the start of the first annual Speedway 5K road race during WOKQ FanFest Thursday night at New Hampshire Motor Speedway in Loudon. (JOSH GIBNEY/UNION LEADER)
Bowyer, who is among the 13 drivers chosen this year to compete in NASCAR's Chase championship, has been at the center of controversy since he allegedly spun his car at a recent race in in Richmond, Va., a move that NASCAR officials said was a deliberate attempt to help a teammmate win points.
"He did it on purpose, and that taints the race. I was going to ask him about it here, but he didn't show up."
"What he did was a load of crap," Hunter said. "The thing that bothers me is that another driver (Martin Truex Jr.) didn't make the Chase because of it."
Most at FanFest said they would still watch the race, and some thought too much was being made of the incident, which caused NASCAR to impose penalties on the drivers and crews involved.
"NASCAR made a point to everybody with the penalties, no more horsing around," said Allan Machado of Concord. "To me, the story is over, time to move on."
"But it still bugs me, with all the cheating that goes on in other sports, it definitely taints this sport, and other drivers are hurt in the process."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hooksett's rush: A careless dash from Manchester - 9
- UNH's good name: Administration fights for it - 0
- An NSA setback: Fourth Amendment wins first round - 15
- Fetal homicide: A compromise at last? - 4
- Freedom & discovery: A mathematician gets noticed - 0
- Preventing Newtown: Background checks won’t - 29
- Taunting taxpayers: Manchester teachers union won’t budge - 35
- Insurance choices: Shaheen, Shea-Porter, Kuster mislead - 19
- Looking for Abigail: Public can help find her - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Kicking game could play crucial role for UNH - 0
- State settles $24.5M lawsuit to force help for mentally ill - 0
- Groton Wind turbines slated to start turning again shortly - 0
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Hooksett man convicted in fatal boating accident - 0
- Man awarded $250K in sexual assault at medical center - 0
Ice storm threatens the region
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Nashua man held in home invasion
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass