Home » Sports » Motor Sports
Latest racing grudge fans passions
From left, Dave Hamm, of Attleboro, Mass., Mark Dupont, of Taunton, Mass., Dennis Hamm, of Raynham, Mass., and John Kazarian, of N. Providence, R.I., stand at attention during the National Anthem prior to the start of the first annual Speedway 5K road race during WOKQ FanFest Thursday night at New Hampshire Motor Speedway in Loudon. (JOSH GIBNEY/UNION LEADER)
Bowyer, who is among the 13 drivers chosen this year to compete in NASCAR's Chase championship, has been at the center of controversy since he allegedly spun his car at a recent race in in Richmond, Va., a move that NASCAR officials said was a deliberate attempt to help a teammmate win points.
"He did it on purpose, and that taints the race. I was going to ask him about it here, but he didn't show up."
"What he did was a load of crap," Hunter said. "The thing that bothers me is that another driver (Martin Truex Jr.) didn't make the Chase because of it."
Most at FanFest said they would still watch the race, and some thought too much was being made of the incident, which caused NASCAR to impose penalties on the drivers and crews involved.
"NASCAR made a point to everybody with the penalties, no more horsing around," said Allan Machado of Concord. "To me, the story is over, time to move on."
"But it still bugs me, with all the cheating that goes on in other sports, it definitely taints this sport, and other drivers are hurt in the process."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- An NSA setback: Fourth Amendment wins first round - 15
- Fetal homicide: A compromise at last? - 4
- Freedom & discovery: A mathematician gets noticed - 0
- Preventing Newtown: Background checks won’t - 29
- Taunting taxpayers: Manchester teachers union won’t budge - 35
- Insurance choices: Shaheen, Shea-Porter, Kuster mislead - 19
- Looking for Abigail: Public can help find her - 3
- Riding lessons: DRED improves horse rules - 5
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 15
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Quick thinking closes the door on Somersworth fire - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child