Kenyan immigrants stage protest at Londonderry church
"All we want is our money back," Ushindi parishioner Wilfred Wachiuri said. "This is the money we contribute at collections each week, and we feel its being kept illegally."
Allegations against Mumbui are currently the subject of an ongoing civil court action in Massachusetts and Creel said the PNNE would continue to stand "in firm support of the large number of Kenyans who want to see him removed and have their congregation restored."
Earlier this month over 100 of the disgruntled Kenyan parishioners demonstrated outside a regional Presbytery meeting in East Craftsbury, Vt.
"We were sitting down to lunch and we offered them some good Christian hospitality like we would to anyone," he said. "They said they were fasting, but they did come inside to use our facilities."
The protestors politely cooperated with local law officials.
Friday's demonstrators overwhelmingly said they felt Mumbui was innocent of all charges, though stressed that the issue of church finances pointed to a much larger struggle — a longing for independence from the mostly Caucasian organization that's currently overseeing their growing church.
Holding up signs with such slogans as "Remove Watchmen From Our Church" and "Let My People Go," the Kenyans sang, chanted and waived at passing motorists throughout the morning.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Granite Staters set sights on Quebec pilgrimage - 0
- Pope begs forgiveness for 'sacrilegious cult' of Church sex abuse - 0
- Sudan releases Ibrahim, but insists she stay there - 0
- Emergency preparedness class offered for churches - 0
- Music minister Grinnell leaving First Congregational Church - 0
- Bishop makes changes to Diocesan leadership structure - 0
- Meriam Yehya Ibrahim, children being held again in Sudan - 0
- Colebrook shrine known for 'Blessing of the Bikes' closing July 1 - 1
- Reports say Sudan to release sister-in-law of NH man - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain