Kenyan immigrants stage protest at Londonderry church
"All we want is our money back," Ushindi parishioner Wilfred Wachiuri said. "This is the money we contribute at collections each week, and we feel its being kept illegally."
Allegations against Mumbui are currently the subject of an ongoing civil court action in Massachusetts and Creel said the PNNE would continue to stand "in firm support of the large number of Kenyans who want to see him removed and have their congregation restored."
Earlier this month over 100 of the disgruntled Kenyan parishioners demonstrated outside a regional Presbytery meeting in East Craftsbury, Vt.
"We were sitting down to lunch and we offered them some good Christian hospitality like we would to anyone," he said. "They said they were fasting, but they did come inside to use our facilities."
The protestors politely cooperated with local law officials.
Friday's demonstrators overwhelmingly said they felt Mumbui was innocent of all charges, though stressed that the issue of church finances pointed to a much larger struggle — a longing for independence from the mostly Caucasian organization that's currently overseeing their growing church.
Holding up signs with such slogans as "Remove Watchmen From Our Church" and "Let My People Go," the Kenyans sang, chanted and waived at passing motorists throughout the morning.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- A faithful restoration of a Manchester cathedral - 4
- Calender of religious events in the state - 0
- South African chorus at Portsmouth church - 0
- Collection this weekend to help religious communities address a retirement shortfall - 0
- Interfaith Women of NH at Temple Adath Yeshurun - 0
- Candlelight Advent concert Tuesday night at Saint Raphael Church in Manchester - 0
- Keene churches increase winter breakfasts this year - 0
- Pope to visit U.S. next year - 0
- St. Margaret of Scotland in Conway to celebrate the Kirkin' of the Tartan - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads