Kenyan immigrants stage protest at Londonderry church
"All we want is our money back," Ushindi parishioner Wilfred Wachiuri said. "This is the money we contribute at collections each week, and we feel its being kept illegally."
Allegations against Mumbui are currently the subject of an ongoing civil court action in Massachusetts and Creel said the PNNE would continue to stand "in firm support of the large number of Kenyans who want to see him removed and have their congregation restored."
Earlier this month over 100 of the disgruntled Kenyan parishioners demonstrated outside a regional Presbytery meeting in East Craftsbury, Vt.
"We were sitting down to lunch and we offered them some good Christian hospitality like we would to anyone," he said. "They said they were fasting, but they did come inside to use our facilities."
The protestors politely cooperated with local law officials.
Friday's demonstrators overwhelmingly said they felt Mumbui was innocent of all charges, though stressed that the issue of church finances pointed to a much larger struggle — a longing for independence from the mostly Caucasian organization that's currently overseeing their growing church.
Holding up signs with such slogans as "Remove Watchmen From Our Church" and "Let My People Go," the Kenyans sang, chanted and waived at passing motorists throughout the morning.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- George Will: Battle royal in Iowa - 0
- Charles Krauthammer: Our real Syria strategy: containment-plus - 0
- Roger Simon: Do 'real men' hit women? - 3
- Another View -- Scott Brown: America's interests come before party or President - 27
- John Stossel: We have two anti-choice parties in America - 1
- Another View -- Andres Martinez: How our imperial tax code encourages inversions - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: What 'war on women'? - 4
- George Will: High stakes in Kansas - 1
- Kathy Sullivan: NH GOP's smearing of good people hits a new low - 29
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man accused of cutting wife’s throat committed to psychiatric hospital - 1
- Two may have stabbed each other in Concord parking garage incident, police say - 0
- Manchester joyride in a stolen truck lands two in handcuffs - 0
- High School Football Power Poll: Some shuffling in the middle - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Pamela Diamantis: USNH’s tuition freeze offer is good for NH’s future - 1
- Crosstown Variety Store robbed in Manchester - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio: A well-earned celebration for Sox. - 0
- A’s earn their way into postseason play - 0
Dover man's nightmare lesson for everyone
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
'Strange ideas' Banning guns made in NH
Personhood Controversial? Really?
License revocations for DWI announced
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond
Crosstown Variety Store robbed in Manchester