Derryfield's Young Gun
Ian Clark's Corner Kicks: Cougars' Brummett making her mark
The freshman striker for the Derryfield School of Manchester girls' soccer team has scored 16 goals in her first four high school games to lead the Cougars to a 4-0-0 start.
"Everyone knows her. Everyone knows she's coming," said Derryfield coach Jack Sanford. "What I think is unfortunate is that we don't play a lot of teams that are going to try to challenge her."
Sunapee is the only team to hold Brummett without a goal, but she still assisted on the game-winner.
"She wants to be on the pitch the whole time. She just wants to play and get better every game," Sanford said. "Part of that is going to have to come from hard practices. (The challenge) may not be there every game so we have to keep our practices strong and sharp and make sure she uses that opportunity to get better."
"She's got vision of the game that few girls have at her age," he said. "She's been coached quite well. She knows the strategy and on top of that she has the technical skill to carry it through."
"In the preseason, coming in as a freshman I had no worries," Brummett said. "They were always welcoming and I really want to send them off with a championship."
- - - - - - -
Ian Clark's Corner Kicks appears every Thursday in the New Hampshire Union Leader. Coaches with stats, notes and milestones to share can contact him at email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
- H.S. Football: Knight leads South past North - 0
- H.S. Football: Trinity, with all the trimmings, runs past Central - 3
- Unchained following 34 years, Thursday's Turkey Bowl is Paul Boucher's last game - 1
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Motivation aplenty for Central and Trinity in Manchester's annual Turkey Bowl - 3
- Martinez, Rodriguez lift Salem past Lawrence - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: On any given Thursday - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Crimson glide - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: This year, No. 1 is a no-doubter - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
- Turkey Bowl brawl: Central players suspended, no discipline for Trinity team - 5
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false