Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Lackey hurls Sox into the playoffs
Boston is assured of at least a wild card. The Red Sox’s magic number for clinching the American League East championship was two pending the result of the second-place Tampa Bay Rays’ game against the Texas Rangers.
Lackey had a no-hitter through 6 1/3 innings, but Baltimore’s first hit wasn’t a cheapie. Adam Jones clubbed an 0-1 pitch over the Green Monster.
Lackey (10-12) threw his first nine-inning complete game of the season, finishing with two walks and eight strikeouts.
The longest Lackey took a no-hitter was 8 1/3 innings for the Los Angeles Angels against the Red Sox on July 29, 2008, at Fenway Park, when Dustin Pedroia’s single broke up his bid. Before Jones’ home run, he had allowed two baserunners, on two-out walks to Brian Roberts in the third and Nate McLouth in the sixth.
The Red Sox took a three-run lead in the second. Stephen Drew hit a two-run homer over the Green Monster, driving in Jarrrod Saltalamacchia, who led off the inning with a double. Jackie Bradley Jr. doubled and scored on Dustin Pedroia’s single.
NOTES: Orioles RHP Darren O’Day returned to action for the first time since Sept. 7, retiring one batter in the eighth inning. He was sidelined because of numbness in two fingers of his right hand. ... O’s manager Buck Showalter is deciding between RHPs Miguel Gonzalez and Bud Norris for the Saturday start at Tampa Bay. Gonzalez left Sunday’s game in Toronto with a strained right groin, and Norris missed a start due to tightness in his right elbow. ... Sox RF Shane Victorino did not play. He left Wednesday’s game for a pinch hitter in the 12th inning.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Definitely broken: City's winter parking ban - 2
- What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out' - 23
- Closing classrooms: Relief for Webster, Beech Street schools in Manchester.? - 1
- Unwanted professors: How does one get fired at UNH? - 15
- Bumped for Benghazi: A reporter is held accountable - 2
- Dangerous Iran deal: Weakening sanctions is senseless - 2
- Freedom? Thanks for nothing, Obama - 82
- Christmas spirit: For whom do you shop? - 4
- American blessing: The Pilgrims and self-reliance - 20
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 1
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released