Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Lackey hurls Sox into the playoffs
Boston is assured of at least a wild card. The Red Sox’s magic number for clinching the American League East championship was two pending the result of the second-place Tampa Bay Rays’ game against the Texas Rangers.
Lackey had a no-hitter through 6 1/3 innings, but Baltimore’s first hit wasn’t a cheapie. Adam Jones clubbed an 0-1 pitch over the Green Monster.
Lackey (10-12) threw his first nine-inning complete game of the season, finishing with two walks and eight strikeouts.
The longest Lackey took a no-hitter was 8 1/3 innings for the Los Angeles Angels against the Red Sox on July 29, 2008, at Fenway Park, when Dustin Pedroia’s single broke up his bid. Before Jones’ home run, he had allowed two baserunners, on two-out walks to Brian Roberts in the third and Nate McLouth in the sixth.
The Red Sox took a three-run lead in the second. Stephen Drew hit a two-run homer over the Green Monster, driving in Jarrrod Saltalamacchia, who led off the inning with a double. Jackie Bradley Jr. doubled and scored on Dustin Pedroia’s single.
NOTES: Orioles RHP Darren O’Day returned to action for the first time since Sept. 7, retiring one batter in the eighth inning. He was sidelined because of numbness in two fingers of his right hand. ... O’s manager Buck Showalter is deciding between RHPs Miguel Gonzalez and Bud Norris for the Saturday start at Tampa Bay. Gonzalez left Sunday’s game in Toronto with a strained right groin, and Norris missed a start due to tightness in his right elbow. ... Sox RF Shane Victorino did not play. He left Wednesday’s game for a pinch hitter in the 12th inning.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Reports: Yankees get Red Sox Jacoby Ellsbury - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 3
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 1
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
City man charged with endangering child