Home » News » Public Safety
Elderly woman recovering after pedestrian accident in Sandown
SANDOWN — A 91-year-old Salem woman is recovering in a Boston hospital after she was injured while attempting to get directions.
Celeste Kalpokas remained hospitalized at Boston Medical Center Thursday after the accident on Route 121A Wednesday afternoon.
Police Administrative Sgt. Aurie Roy said Kalpokas apparently became lost and decided to pull her car over to the side of Route 121A to ask a woman standing in her yard for directions.
As Kalpokas was about to walk across the street, Roy said a pickup truck came along and stopped when the driver saw her. However, Roy said Kalpokas then motioned for the truck to continue, but for some reason ended up trying to cross at the same time and was knocked over by the truck.
Fire officials had said they believed she may have suffered a head injury, but the extent of her injuries wasn’t known Thursday. Her condition also wasn’t available from the hospital, but, Roy said, “She’s going to be OK.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mass. man says he may have seen missing Conway girl on video - 4
- 'Unprepared' Canadian hikers rescued from Mt. Washington - 2
- Vemont pair killed, Sunapee man hurt in crash on I-89 in Lebanon - 0
- Hampton woman, 75, hit by truck in Newington in serious condition - 0
- Police: Handling issues of mentally ill just part of the job - 0
- Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use - 5
- Officials: Missing teen sent letter weeks after last sighting - 0
- UPDATE: 2 dead in I-89 crash in Lebanon, highway northbound restricted to one lane as of 8:20 p.m. - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 13
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 0
- National champion SNHU booters return home to big welcome - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Football team on to SE Louisiana - 0
- Nashua aldermen set to vote on contract for teachers - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Let there be Christmas lights - 0
- Plea deal possible in Littleton murder - 0
- New UNH logo draws mixed reactions - 0
- Gilmanton library may shut down if it doesn’t get funding - 0
- Father not convinced girl in video is Abigail Hernandez - 0
New Hampshire Senior News Notes
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072