Home » News » Public Safety
Elderly woman recovering after pedestrian accident in Sandown
SANDOWN — A 91-year-old Salem woman is recovering in a Boston hospital after she was injured while attempting to get directions.
Celeste Kalpokas remained hospitalized at Boston Medical Center Thursday after the accident on Route 121A Wednesday afternoon.
Police Administrative Sgt. Aurie Roy said Kalpokas apparently became lost and decided to pull her car over to the side of Route 121A to ask a woman standing in her yard for directions.
As Kalpokas was about to walk across the street, Roy said a pickup truck came along and stopped when the driver saw her. However, Roy said Kalpokas then motioned for the truck to continue, but for some reason ended up trying to cross at the same time and was knocked over by the truck.
Fire officials had said they believed she may have suffered a head injury, but the extent of her injuries wasn’t known Thursday. Her condition also wasn’t available from the hospital, but, Roy said, “She’s going to be OK.”
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Power restored to downtown Manchester - 0
- Driver identified in fatal Northumberland crash - 0
- Warning issued to teens taking the ‘Polar Plunge’ challenge - 1
- Rochester, Dover police to collect expired prescription drugs - 0
- Search for missing swimmer halted in Bristol, to continue Tuesday - 0
- UPDATED: State Police bomb squad called to Manchester West High for plastic bottles of solvent - 0
- Swanzey man pulled from fire in serious condition - 0
- Man dies in Northumberland crash - 0
- Power restored to Hooksett and Candia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Authorities detonate suspicious package left near Boston Marathon finish line on one-year anniversary of bombing - 0
- Flooding shuts down North Country highways - 0
- Officials say Northfield man presumed drowned after 'Polar Plunge' - 0
- Legislative committees move 4.2-cent-per-gallon gas tax increase closer to reality - 6
- Supreme Court: Liquor Commission, trial judge did not follow right-to-know law - 1
- AG agrees man who killed woman, 70, in Littleton hotel was insane at time - 1
- Police accuse man of trying to sell guitars, amps taken in Manchester burglary - 0
- Mother and child startled by late-night intruder in their Manchester living room - 0
- Hollis police use stun gun on man described as unruly - 1
Premium spike: Obamacare costs NH
Flooding shuts down North Country highways
Rep. Shea-Porter honored for efforts to aid in health care by National Association of Community Health Centers