Home » News » Public Safety
Elderly woman recovering after pedestrian accident in Sandown
SANDOWN — A 91-year-old Salem woman is recovering in a Boston hospital after she was injured while attempting to get directions.
Celeste Kalpokas remained hospitalized at Boston Medical Center Thursday after the accident on Route 121A Wednesday afternoon.
Police Administrative Sgt. Aurie Roy said Kalpokas apparently became lost and decided to pull her car over to the side of Route 121A to ask a woman standing in her yard for directions.
As Kalpokas was about to walk across the street, Roy said a pickup truck came along and stopped when the driver saw her. However, Roy said Kalpokas then motioned for the truck to continue, but for some reason ended up trying to cross at the same time and was knocked over by the truck.
Fire officials had said they believed she may have suffered a head injury, but the extent of her injuries wasn’t known Thursday. Her condition also wasn’t available from the hospital, but, Roy said, “She’s going to be OK.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'