Home » News » Public Safety
Elderly woman recovering after pedestrian accident in Sandown
SANDOWN — A 91-year-old Salem woman is recovering in a Boston hospital after she was injured while attempting to get directions.
Celeste Kalpokas remained hospitalized at Boston Medical Center Thursday after the accident on Route 121A Wednesday afternoon.
Police Administrative Sgt. Aurie Roy said Kalpokas apparently became lost and decided to pull her car over to the side of Route 121A to ask a woman standing in her yard for directions.
As Kalpokas was about to walk across the street, Roy said a pickup truck came along and stopped when the driver saw her. However, Roy said Kalpokas then motioned for the truck to continue, but for some reason ended up trying to cross at the same time and was knocked over by the truck.
Fire officials had said they believed she may have suffered a head injury, but the extent of her injuries wasn’t known Thursday. Her condition also wasn’t available from the hospital, but, Roy said, “She’s going to be OK.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Group raising money for family of Raymond man killed by boulder - 0
- Newly renovated Blair Covered Bridge damaged by truck - 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 15
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree