Home » News » Public Safety
Elderly woman recovering after pedestrian accident in Sandown
SANDOWN — A 91-year-old Salem woman is recovering in a Boston hospital after she was injured while attempting to get directions.
Celeste Kalpokas remained hospitalized at Boston Medical Center Thursday after the accident on Route 121A Wednesday afternoon.
Police Administrative Sgt. Aurie Roy said Kalpokas apparently became lost and decided to pull her car over to the side of Route 121A to ask a woman standing in her yard for directions.
As Kalpokas was about to walk across the street, Roy said a pickup truck came along and stopped when the driver saw her. However, Roy said Kalpokas then motioned for the truck to continue, but for some reason ended up trying to cross at the same time and was knocked over by the truck.
Fire officials had said they believed she may have suffered a head injury, but the extent of her injuries wasn’t known Thursday. Her condition also wasn’t available from the hospital, but, Roy said, “She’s going to be OK.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 0
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
- Ian Clark's High School Hockey: Teams anxious to play - 0
- Manchester Mayor Gatsas: Vote tells me Hooksett is satisfied with Manchester schools - 0
- After Pinkerton rejection, what's next for Hooksett students? - 0
- Nashua aldermen approve pair of union contracts - 0
- Was a crime committed? Nashua police are not certain - 0
- Nashua must decide on parkway project's bridge aesthetics - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal
Hooksett has five new school board members
A CIA bombshell: Feinstein and the Fourth