Hanover forfeits homecoming game
HANOVER — Hanover High School is forfeiting its homecoming game Friday night in response to “inappropriate” conduct by some players during a post-practice gathering last month.
Administrators announced the forfeit in a letter to parents this week, saying skits performed during the players-only celebration to the end of two-a-day practices violated the student code of conduct by objectifying women. The letter said many of the skits were sexually themed and “egregiously inappropriate.”
District superintendent Frank Bass declined to elaborate Thursday on the players’ conduct Aug. 24 at the home of one of the players. Bass said administrators considered it serious enough to warrant a one-game suspension. Enough players were facing the sanction that Hanover could not field enough for a team on Friday night, leading to the forfeiture.
Man dies in I-89 collision