Ian Clark's On Hockey: Decisions in L.A. will have trickle-down effect here
The Kings are in camp this week and will be sending most of the Monarchs roster back this way early next week. Those last few players to come back will be the key ones, because Kings head coach Darryl Sutter has some tough decisions to make thanks to a deep roster and young talent hoping to crack the lineup.
Pearson was called up for the playoffs last season, playing in one game and ending his night with no stats except a little more than five minutes of ice time. But in Manchester, Pearson scored 19 goals and 28 assists for 47 points in 64 games.
The blue line is even more crowded for the Kings, with nine players on one-way contracts (who would have to clear waivers to be sent down) and seven realistic spots for defensemen, something has to give.
The final battle is between the pipes for the right to the backup goaltender position behind Jonathan Quick. Ben Scrivens came over from Toronto, Mathieu Garon (who played in Manchester in 2004-05) was picked up and then Martin Jones is hoping to make his mark for the jump to the NHL.
BRUINS NEWCOMERS SHINE: Several new faces on the Boston Bruins had impressive debuts in Monday’s 6-3 exhibition win in Montreal. Veteran Jarome Iginla scored a pair of goals and looks to be the natural replacement for the departed Nathan Horton.Nick Johnson, a Dartmouth College product, scored a pair of goals as well and appears poised to be a solid contributor. He has 104 NHL games under his belt, but most came with Minnesota which means he remains mostly an unknown.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Weal powers Monarchs past Phantoms - 0
- Gale lifts Monarchs to 3-1 win - 0
- Another weekend, another three games for Monarchs - 0
- Weary Monarchs lose in shootout - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs yet to flip switch on power play - 0
- Monarchs fall, settle for two-win weekend - 0
- Ian Clark's Monarchs Notebook: Berube makes most of his shot - 0
- Red-hot Monarchs top Wolf Pack on the road - 0
- Deslauriers comes through in the Nick of time for Monarchs - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
Police say man attacked woman with sword