Home » Opinion » Editorials
Navy Yard shooting: What gun is to blame?
On Wednesday the FBI stated that the shooter entered the Navy Yard with a shotgun and might have picked up a handgun while there. “We do not have any information at this time that he had an AR-15 in his possession,” read the FBI news release. So much for blaming the “assault rifle.”
Of course. “Gun violence” is violence committed by an inanimate object. Violence committed by the dangerously mentally ill apparently need not be discussed. USA Today managed to discover that the shooter had a history of treatment for mental illness. But never mind; we must all come together to discuss the guns, preferably in an excited, emotional way. We wouldn’t want the facts to settle in before we acted.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Basketball: Memorial needs shootout to get by Bow - 0
- Man arrested after chase that led from Pelham to Lowell, Mass. - 0
- No shortage of post-holiday shoppers at local stores - 0
- West junior advising College Board on its entrance exams - 0
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive - 0
- Sullivan in the top running for state's Assistant Principal of the Year - 0
- Derry making progress with efforts to honor POWS, MIAs - 0
- Lions Club blood drive draws on spirit of giving - 0
- Last Week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
'Interview' buzz spreads to NH
Murder suspect fit for trial?
Pipeline push gets a second wind