Commander of American Legion tours the state
American Legion National Commander Daniel Dellinger speaks during an interview at the New Hampshire Union Leader. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)
The American Legion is the nation's largest veterans service organization with 2.4 million members. It celebrates its 100th anniversary in 2018.
Post-traumatic stress syndrome and brain injury are the two most significant injuries military men and women suffer when they return from battlefields in Iraq and Afghanistan, Dellinger said.
"Suicide is a big concern facing us. We need to be there for our brothers and sisters," Dellinger added.
Unemployment among male veterans ages 18-24 is 22 percent upon their return home compared to more than 7 percent for the nation as a whole, he said.
Progress was made in the last six months to reduce claims by about 200,000; still there about 600,000 still to be processed, he said.
The New Hampshire visit is part of a nationwide tour to learn veterans concerns and assure them The American Legion will continue to be there for them.
For more information, visit www.legion.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Stossel: Federal prosecutors are out of control - 3
- Jonah Goldberg: How offshore oil rigs are helping the environment - 1
- George Will: In Kentucky, a constitutional moment - 3
- Another View -- John H. Sununu: Voters, pick a governor who is serious about the Pledge - 4
- Charles Arlinghaus: This government 'investment' is a bad idea - 5
- Pat Buchanan: The high price of papal popularity - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: Scott Brown does not get what 'pro-choice' really means - 15
- Deroy Murdock: Scott Brown's good case for a Republican Senate - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Rise of the Clinton Democrats (not really) - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bullpen stakes Royals to 2-1 World Series edge - 0
- NHIAA: Lancers beat South - 0
- College Football: St. Anselm football loses third straight game - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Tough decisions loom for Legion - 0
- A good first impression - 0
- NHIAA: Exeter keeps Memorial attack at bay - 0
- Windham clinches first with huge win - 0
- NHIAA: Campbell thumps Brady - 0
- NHIAA: Brummett scores 5 for Derryfield - 0
Blackwater verdict stuns NH dad
Hassan, Havenstein spar over education
Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks
A good first impression
Thieves target cars in Hollis neighborhood