Plan to repair earthquake-damaged Epping hall on hold
Epping's historic Watson Academy in Epping remains closed after last October's earthquake. (JASON SCHREIBER/Union Leader Correspondent)
The decision was made days after the town's insurer, Local Government Center, informed the town that it would offer some money to make repairs, but only after engineers take a closer look at the building and sign off on the repair plan.
Selectmen narrowed the scope of the repairs in recent months and sent the project out to bid. Two proposals were returned a few weeks ago, both with a price tag of around $40,000.
Fire Chief Don DeAngelis urged selectmen to move ahead with the engineering study from a safety standpoint, especially since the building is a place of public assembly.
The town spent nearly $10,000 on an engineering study immediately after the quake, but SFC Engineering Partnership Inc. of Auburn — the firm hired to prepare the report — indicated that a more thorough study would be needed.
The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and selectmen acknowledged that it has historic value to the town.
"I would say I'm really getting frustrated," said Carol Clapp, the committee's co-chairman.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 6.0 earthquake strikes California wine country - 0
- Heavy rain saturates NH in a matter of two hours - 1
- Flash flood warning issued for Southern New Hampshire - 0
- Rare tornado touches down in Revere, Mass., no deaths reported - 0
- Severe weather strikes across Granite State - 0
- Restaurant foundation destabilized by high water raises Route 3 Bridge, downtown Colebrook flooding concerns - 0
- Winchester roads ravaged by heavy rain - 0
- Despite heavy rains, tornado warning, Nashua OK - 0
- Wild weather strikes Granite State - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man charged in domestic knife threat - 0
- Manchester man detained on Nashua rape charges involving child - 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 9
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced