Manchester school debate draws a crowd
The event, sponsored by Cornerstone Policy Research, was presented as an “informational forum” on the Common Core standards.
Proponents of the standards say they arose from a state effort by the National Governors Association and that they are intended to give children a better chance to compete internationally.
The standards have been adopted by 45 states, including New Hampshire. They are opposed by conservatives — who consider them a federal intrusion on local control of education — and members of the political left, who have expressed concern over the standardized tests that come with Common Core.
“You have to understand that Common Core standards are not rigorous,” Stotsky said. “Common Core standards are not internationally benchmarked and do not meet international standards.”
Stotsky said the standards fall short in English and language arts, as well as mathematics, the two areas of focus for Common Core.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 'Cadillac' health tax costs draw big worry - 13
- Wastewater lagoon blamed for Exit 4 odor - 0
- Author and poet Maya Angelou dies at 86 - 0
- After controversy, retired NH superior court judge fights for kudos - 4
- Road to be closed for fallen Brentwood officer's procession - 0
- Brentwood Officer Arkell's death adds fresh pain to somber law enforcement memorial ceremony - 1
- Conference participants take on climate change planning - 1
- NH agencies see growing needs for seniors - 1
- Nashua to combat substance abuse with knowledge at forum - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
The U.S. is a beacon still
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson