Apr 10, 2014
Apr 3, 2014
Mar 12, 2014
Mar 5, 2014
Manchester man who shot victim in face sentenced to 14 to 30 years
Hebert was originally charge with second-degree murder in the shooting death of the 21-year-old Samniego at Ferry and South Main streets at 3 a.m. July 17, 2011.
Hebert pleaded to the manslaughter charge last month in Hillsborough County Superior Court North.
Judge David Garfunkel said the sentence is intended as a message to the community about the consequences of the reckless use of firearms.
Garfunkel said the two men were strangers, and although Samniego was drunk and insulted Hebert, he was unarmed.
All Hebert had to do was drive away, said Garfunkel, but he circled back and shot Samniego at close range. Only then did Hebert drive away, leaving Samniego to die on the pavement.
Hebert was credited with 790 days of pretrial confinement and can apply for a suspension of the remainder of his sentence after serving two-thirds of the minimum.
He must also pay restitution for burial expenses and must have no contact with the victim's family.
Hebert was originally indicted on two second-degree murder charges, one alleging he recklessly caused Samniego's death, the other that he knowingly did so. He had been scheduled for trial, but pleaded guilty to manslaughter Aug. 19, in a so-called "naked plea" with no agreement on sentencing.
Defense attorneys Caroline Smith and Eric Raymond suggested the man they say is a model prisoner at the Valley Street Jail, serving as a mentor to other prisoners and a model even for corrections officers, should be sentenced to as little as five years.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry man accused of threatening, sexually assaulting two girls - 1
- Hollis police say stun gun needed on ‘unruly’ man - 0
- AG agrees man who killed woman, 70, in Littleton hotel was insane at time - 1
- Police accuse man of trying to sell guitars, amps taken in Manchester burglary - 0
- Mother and child startled by late-night intruder in their Manchester living room - 0
- Hollis police use stun gun on man described as unruly - 1
- Rochester man arrested after crash in Somersworth - 0
- Dover man accused of trying to sexually assault a girl - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Track Preview: Jenkins paces defending champ North - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Track Preview: McCabe, Parker lead way - 0
- Manchester DPW chief says up to 20 layoffs possible with proposed budget - 7
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: O’Neill’s injury leaves offensive void - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: No doubt about it, Fisher Cats still confident - 0
- Another View -- Bobby Jindal: NH should trust parents to choose schools - 1
- Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH - 2
- Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior - 1
- Charles Arlinghaus: A $400 million hole was just blown in the state budget - 0
Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH
Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917