Parking gets personal in NH communities with electronic meters
In Manchester, use of the new parking system is due to begin next week. It is already used in Dover and Portsmouth.
The module is set for the maximum time allowed for a particular spot, and counts off the time used until it is either turned off by its owner or registers a violation flag.
Car owners periodically connect the device to their home computers through a USB cord to add money to their account and download the latest fees, time limits and extend coverage to any new communities added to the parking consortium.
"We have over 470 subscribers in Portsmouth alone," said Cocchiaro. "We very small footprint of metered parking spaces in the downtown, about 600 yards by 600 yards."
Easypark is the product of OTI America, an Israeli-owned company. New Hampshire is one of the company's targeted markets in the United States. In Israel, a similar product is in use in 37 municipalities, a company spokeswoman said.
"It's fabulous, it is extremely well received for the convenience by the user," said city parking manager Bill Simons. "It benefits the city because we reduce coin collections at our meters, the use of supplies, wear and tear of the mechanisms, we get 100 percent of our income from the parking, we don't lose a percentage to the company."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 'Cadillac' health tax costs draw big worry - 13
- Wastewater lagoon blamed for Exit 4 odor - 0
- Author and poet Maya Angelou dies at 86 - 0
- After controversy, retired NH superior court judge fights for kudos - 4
- Road to be closed for fallen Brentwood officer's procession - 0
- Brentwood Officer Arkell's death adds fresh pain to somber law enforcement memorial ceremony - 1
- Conference participants take on climate change planning - 1
- NH agencies see growing needs for seniors - 1
- Nashua to combat substance abuse with knowledge at forum - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms