Home » Sports » College Sports
At UNH's Cowell Stadium, prepare for the night life
Lights will be installed at Cowell Stadium as part a renovation project that is due to be completed in time for the 2014 season, the school announced late on Friday afternoon.
The work will be funded by $1.5 million that was included as part of a capital budget passed this summer, said State Sen. Lou D'Allesandro, who helped get the funds.
"It's a first-class university and it deserves first-class facilities," said D'Allesandro, who graduated from the school in 1961 and was a captain of the football team in 1960. "Those (Cowell Stadium) facilities aren't any better than when I played over 50 years ago. This is a step in the right direction. We've got to do more for that university."
The repairs and improvements are phase one of a future expansion of the stadium site, UNH director of athletics Marty Scarano said in a release.
"Hopefully this is a catalytic agent to get more involved in giving," D'Allesandro said. "We're moving in the right direction."
His organization sponsors high schools sports and championships, and he has been in discussions with Scarano and D'Allesandro about bringing the football title games to Cowell.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Indoor track results - 0
- Central-Trinity: It's time - 2
- Trinity, BG skaters open with victories - 0
- Central vs. Trinity: 'competition, not warfare' - 5
- NHIAA preview: Boys' ice hockey races appear to be wide open - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Windham boys prevail in hoop opener - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball Preview: Top dogs still have lots of bite - 1
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
- Rich won’t return to coach Londonderry football - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan