Home » News » Public Safety
Abu Dhabi woman rescued on Mount Lafayette after injuring leg
According to the Fish and Game Department, Nichole Gammans, 40, of Abu Dhabi, had hiked to the summit of Lafayette and was descending the Falling Waters Trail when she slipped on wet rocks. Passing hikers called 911 for help and also aided rescuers in the carryout.
Rescuers from Fish and Game and Pemigewasset Valley Search and Rescue reached the injured woman around 2:30 p.m., and the group carried her about a mile to the trail head in heavy rain.
She was taken by ambulance to Speare Memorial Hospital in Plymouth for treatment.
The incident prompted Conservation Officer Jeremy Hawkes to remind hikers to use extra caution on the trails this weekend due to the recent heavy rains.
"The trails are extremely slippery and some of the trail river crossings could be difficult to negotiate or impassable due to flooding," he said.
For information on safe hiking, visit hikesafe.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
- Wakefield woman dies in crash; Rye woman crashes into utility pole - 0
- Wakefield woman killed in Milton crash - 0
- Portsmouth police locate, arrest driver after accident - 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
- Plaistow police chief passes away after battle with cancer - 0
- Fire damages building at Jaffrey transfer station - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bonners host charity music festival in Portsmouth - 0
- He knows the Memorial Wall, name by name - 0
- NH to host New England governors, Eastern Canadian premiers in Mount Washington - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain