Home » News » Public Safety
Abu Dhabi woman rescued on Mount Lafayette after injuring leg
According to the Fish and Game Department, Nichole Gammans, 40, of Abu Dhabi, had hiked to the summit of Lafayette and was descending the Falling Waters Trail when she slipped on wet rocks. Passing hikers called 911 for help and also aided rescuers in the carryout.
Rescuers from Fish and Game and Pemigewasset Valley Search and Rescue reached the injured woman around 2:30 p.m., and the group carried her about a mile to the trail head in heavy rain.
She was taken by ambulance to Speare Memorial Hospital in Plymouth for treatment.
The incident prompted Conservation Officer Jeremy Hawkes to remind hikers to use extra caution on the trails this weekend due to the recent heavy rains.
"The trails are extremely slippery and some of the trail river crossings could be difficult to negotiate or impassable due to flooding," he said.
For information on safe hiking, visit hikesafe.com.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Dozens displaced by Manchester apartment building fire - 3
- Ossipee woman killed in late-night Moultonborough crash - 1
- Danville couple struggling to get back on feet after explosion - 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 0
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
- College Roundup: SNHU women win - 0
- Merrimack's Schaller scores first NHL goal, but B's get win - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'