Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Salty adds to Yankees' wounds with grand slam in Red Sox win
Stephen Drew doubled in two runs and Daniel Nava added an RBI single and scored for the Red Sox, who lead the American League East by 8 1/2 games over the Tampa Bay Rays.
Brandon Workman (6-3) got the win in relief of John Lackey as Boston improved to 11-6 against the Yankees this season. Robinson Cano went 4-for-4 with a run scored and two RBIs as New York slipped 2 games behind the Rays in the race for the second AL wild card.
Hiroki Kuroda (11-11) surrendered a leadoff single in the seventh before yielding to the bullpen.
Cesar Cabral hit the only batter he faced and Preston Claiborne walked Johnny Gomes to load the bases before Saltalamacchia drove a 0-1 fastball over the bullpen in right-center two batters later.
Boston jumped on top quickly with four runs in the first inning, capped by Drew's double off the left-field wall.
The Yankees began to fight back on Brendan Ryan's solo home run in the third and Lyle Overbay's sacrifice fly in the sixth before Cano's bases-loaded double in the seventh knotted it up.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Lackey was charged with four runs on seven hits in 6 1/3 innings. He owns a 5.76 ERA against the Yankees this season and 3.19 against everyone else. Kuroda lasted six-plus innings and was charged with five runs on eight hits. ... Koji Uehara struck out one in a perfect ninth and extended his team record to 37 straight batters retired. ... New York CF Brett Gardner was diagnosed with a Grade 1 strain in his rib cage and is expected to be out for a lengthy period of time.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice - 8
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Prizes & playoffs: Well done, UNH - 1
- Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA - 13
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Keeping public in the dark isn't helping find Abigail - 26
- The Peace Light: A Christmas reminder for all - 0
- Doing 'less with less' Is that Gov. Hassan's new motto? - 11
- Washington Jeanne: Will Shaheen face her state? - 44
- McWages: They're about value - 82
- Night lights: Francestown freaks out - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
- Turkey Bowl brawl: Central players suspended, no discipline for Trinity team - 5
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice