Keene dam OK after heavy rainfall caused concerns it might breach
About 7 p.m., the city's Emergency Operation Center (EOC) was activated to assess and monitor the situation.
Public Works staff continued to monitor the water levels and the fire department was called in to help pump water out of the pond and into storm drains.
Residents in the immediate area were alerted to the situation.
City engineers, with the assistance of the state Department of Environmental Services Dam Bureau, inspected the dam and deemed its condition safe.
As the rain tapered off and with the water being pumped out of the pond, the water levels subsided, eliminating the earlier threat of the dam rupturing.
About 11:30 p.m., the EOC was terminated and pumping operations ceased. Public Works staff remained at the site through the night to keep an eye on the dam and the water level.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Storm expected to take biggest toll in northern part of state - 0
- Central part of state biggest area of concern in storm - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Powerful storm lashes eastern U.S. with snow, arctic cold - 0
- Forecasters say true to form, March will come in like a lion - 0
- NWS: North Country flooding risk near normal for now - 0
- Device may help solve weighty problem - 0
- Frequent snowstorms taking a toll on Manchester's plowing budget - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- The Pope's anniversary: Viewing him through different lenses - 0
- Up late with Shaheen: Misplaced Senate priorities - 0
- Dave Solomon's Gettin' Down to Business: Tim Eccleston has a health dream for the nation - 0
- Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Always trust your cape, but watch out for snakes - 0
- Third-party food delivery on the rise - 0
- College Hockey: Northeastern wins in OT, forces Game 3 with UNH - 0
- College Hockey: Union ousts Dartmouth in ECAC tournament - 0
- NHGOP: Rand Paul wins straw poll - 0
- Pembroke voters OK clock tower face-lift - 0
Dick Pinney's Guidelines: Online license purchases prove user unfriendly for some hunters and anglers
Auburn native believes in faith and fashion
NHGOP: Rand Paul wins straw poll
Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season
Charles Krauthammer: How to handle Putin