Keene dam OK after heavy rainfall caused concerns it might breach
About 7 p.m., the city's Emergency Operation Center (EOC) was activated to assess and monitor the situation.
Public Works staff continued to monitor the water levels and the fire department was called in to help pump water out of the pond and into storm drains.
Residents in the immediate area were alerted to the situation.
City engineers, with the assistance of the state Department of Environmental Services Dam Bureau, inspected the dam and deemed its condition safe.
As the rain tapered off and with the water being pumped out of the pond, the water levels subsided, eliminating the earlier threat of the dam rupturing.
About 11:30 p.m., the EOC was terminated and pumping operations ceased. Public Works staff remained at the site through the night to keep an eye on the dam and the water level.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Central part of state biggest area of concern in storm - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Powerful storm lashes eastern U.S. with snow, arctic cold - 0
- Forecasters say true to form, March will come in like a lion - 0
- NWS: North Country flooding risk near normal for now - 0
- Device may help solve weighty problem - 0
- Frequent snowstorms taking a toll on Manchester's plowing budget - 1
- After-school activities canceled in New Boston, Goffstown and Dunbarton - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- No dice: House kills casino gambling bill - 0
- Poetry Out Loud championship rescheduled due to storm - 0
- Portsmouth buildings evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 0
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 4
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal