Home » News » Public Safety
Heavy downpour blamed for collapse of vacant Bethlehem buiilding
?We're getting ready to take the whole building down,? Fire Chief Jack Anderson said Friday morning.
He said about two inches of rain fell in a half-hour Thursday night, causing the already deteriorating and leaking roof to collapse into the third and then the second floors, where water had pooled from the downpour.
?A little more of it came down at 2:30 a.m.? today, he said.
The 50-by-150-foot building, erected in the late 1800s, has been vacant for several years but previously housed a pizza parlor and multiple businesses, according to Anderson.
A crew from Spears Brothers Building and Wrecking in Laconia is on its way to demolish the building.
Anderson said he expected the building, which is four stories in one section, and three in another, will be on the ground by the end of the day although the rubble will not be cleared out.
The building is located near the juncture of Routes 142 and 302. A section of Route 302 was closed down as a safety precaution.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Family trying to recover from fire 2 weeks before Christmas - 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
- 1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford - 0
- 'Good Morning America' viewers see how much people care about missing Abigail Hernandez - 2
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
- Woodshed restaurant fire investigation continues - 0
- Lincoln officer, Woodstock firefighters credited with saving homeowner's life - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 3
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 1
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072