Home » News » Public Safety
Heavy downpour blamed for collapse of vacant Bethlehem buiilding
?We're getting ready to take the whole building down,? Fire Chief Jack Anderson said Friday morning.
He said about two inches of rain fell in a half-hour Thursday night, causing the already deteriorating and leaking roof to collapse into the third and then the second floors, where water had pooled from the downpour.
?A little more of it came down at 2:30 a.m.? today, he said.
The 50-by-150-foot building, erected in the late 1800s, has been vacant for several years but previously housed a pizza parlor and multiple businesses, according to Anderson.
A crew from Spears Brothers Building and Wrecking in Laconia is on its way to demolish the building.
Anderson said he expected the building, which is four stories in one section, and three in another, will be on the ground by the end of the day although the rubble will not be cleared out.
The building is located near the juncture of Routes 142 and 302. A section of Route 302 was closed down as a safety precaution.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Weare police chief on leave amid domestic violence probe - 0
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- Heating unit cause of blaze in Manchester - 0
- Mother of Bedford student hit by car says safety should come first on school grounds - 5
- New Farmington police chief continues to build relationships in the community he’s served for 14 years - 0
- Keene police officer on bicycle struck by car - 0
- Antidote carried by NH first responders a life-saver for heroin overdoses - 0
- In neglect cases, indigent parents may lose legal help - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 4
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Brady a realist - 0
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
DWI license revocations
Strategery: A war by any other name
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out