Wild afternoon for lightning in southern New Hampshire
Fire crews from over a half-dozen southern New Hampshire towns responded to a three-alarm fire at 32 Hawthorne Road in Windham early Thursday afternoon. The home, believed to have been struck by lightning, sustained heavy fire and smoke damage on its upper levels, though no one was home when the fire broke out. (APRIL GUILMET)
A garage at a Bedford home burns after being struck by lightning Thursday afternoon.
A three-alarm house fire at 32 Hawthorne Road, Windham, is believed to have been caused by a lightning strike, according to Windham fire chief Tom McPherson. The fire started around 12:30 and brought firefighters from several towns, including Derry, Pelham and Salem. McPherson said it was too early to tell if lightning caused the fire, but that appeared a possible cause. One firefighter was taken to the hospital for heat exhaustion, he said.
In Derry, a woman reported being thrown to the ground after lightning struck near her. Kristi Arford said she feels grateful to be alive after lightning struck near her Thursday afternoon during a thunderstorm, sending her to the ground.
Arford said she was at the rear of her house, trying to bring her dog "Biscuit" in from the storm. She said she was touching the metal door when the lightning struck near the front of the house.
"I saw the bright flash of light and I just felt a shock all through my body," and it made me fall to the ground," she said.
After regaining her strength, Arford said she called 911 and rescue personnel responded. She said her heart was racing but she later recovered and didn't need to be transported to the hospital.
"I think I'll go play the lottery now, because maybe I'm lucky," she said with a chuckle.
A base of a tree near the front of her house was split and bark and other debris was strewn across the yard.
In Richmond, a lighting strike caused a basement fire on Bullock Street shortly after noon.
"It was a lighting strike that struck outside on the lawn and made a hole in the ground," said Police Chief Brendan Bosquet.
The hole in the ground is about a foot and half in diameter and about a foot deep, Bosquet said. The lighting struck about six feet from the house at 170 Bullock Road.
The electric charge traveled through the ground and appears to have made contact with the dryer vent.
The dryer was not running, Bosquet said, but the electricity traveled through the vent and caused a fire in the basement, in the insulation and the area around the vent.
"The homeowner was home at the time so he could smell smoke and ended up putting out the fire with a garden hose," Bosquet said. "He smelled smoke after he heard the big crack of the lightning strike, then he went down there to do something, then he smelled it and then he could see it."
Swanzey, Winchester and Royalston, Mass., firefighters responded with Richmond firefighters and tore out the burned insulation and had the electricity turned off temporarily.
A house next-door was also struck but did not catch fire, Bosquet said.
There were 195 cloud-to-ground strikes in Rockingham County during a 15-minute period ending at 12:30 p.m., Hawley said.
The National Weather Service planned to post a severe thunderstorm watch for the state until 10 p.m. today for more possible strong to severe storms. The storms are ahead of a cold front that will bring much cooler temperatures Friday.
The Weather Service also posted a severe thunderstorm until 3:15 p.m. for southwestern Hillsborough County and southeastern Cheshire County.
A flash flood watch is in effect until 11:59 p.m. Thursday for Cheshire and Hillsborough counties.
Hawley said storms aren't considered severe unless they produce hail of at least 1 inch in diameter or winds exceeding 58 mph.
Union Leader correspondents Hunter McGee, April Guilmet, Susan Clark and Meghan Peirce contributed to this story.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rainy forecast forces Portsmouth to cancel Christmas parade; tree lighting still on - 0
- NHDOT: Snow, sleet causing no traffic problems on state's highways - 0
- Utilities tallying up the damage - 3
- Elliot Hospital serves dinner to those affected by power outages - 0
- Power outages down to final few - 2
- Lights, heat making slow return - 7
- Day Three in the dark for many in NH - 9
- Londonderry shelter gives residents warm place to stay after power outages - 0
- NH suffers 4th worst outage on record - 17
READER COMMENTS: 0
- State House Dome: Just past Concord session a mixed bag - 0
- Monarchs squeak by Bruins - 0
- Memorial hockey shuts out Trinity - 0
- Dover's Parratto a national champion - 0
- UNH defense comes up big against Redbirds - 0
- St. Anselm men knock off Post - 0
- Leadership, defense made Katie Bishop, of Conway, an All-American - 0
- Jet menace faltered under Rex - 0
- Strong start lifts Bedford to win - 0
UNH loses to Illinois State
Cyber security a fear in NH, too
A new era for Nashua's police force
Nashua police left rattled by tot's death
Haylee Ann-Marie Patten