Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Carp's pinch-hit slam in 10th lifts red-hot Sox over fading Rays
The Red Sox put two on in the 10th against Joel Peralta (2-7) before the Rays brought in right-hander Roberto Hernandez to face Mike Napoli. Hernandez walked Napoli on four pitches and Carp followed by belting the first pitch to straightaway center field as Boston increased its lead in the East to 9 1/2 games over Tampa Bay.
James Loney tied it with a solo home run in the eighth but the Rays could not get anything done against Koji Uehara (4-0) in the ninth.
Evan Longoria and David DeJesus each recorded an RBI double for Tampa Bay, which had its lead for the second AL wild card trimmed to one game over the New York Yankees.
The Red Sox grabbed a 3-0 lead in the third inning on Napoli's two-run double and an RBI groundout from Daniel Nava.
The Rays fought back for a run on DeJesus' double in the bottom of the third and drew to within 3-2 in the seventh when Longoria pushed an RBI double to right-center.
Loney came up with one out in the eighth and lined a high fastball from Brandon Workman into the stands in right to tie it up but Tampa Bay still dropped its 13th game in the last 17 contests.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Red Sox starter Ryan Dempster allowed a run on four hits and five walks in five innings while Rays starter Alex Cobb was charged with three runs and seven hits in 5 2/3 frames. ... Uehara struck out Wil Myers in the eighth to retire his 33rd consecutive hitter, passing Ellis Kinder (1952) for the longest streak in Red Sox history. He finished off a perfect ninth to run the streak to 34 straight. ... The Red Sox clinched their 31st series win of the season - most in the majors.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
- H.S. Football: Knight leads South past North - 0
- H.S. Football: Trinity, with all the trimmings, runs past Central - 3
- Unchained following 34 years, Thursday's Turkey Bowl is Paul Boucher's last game - 1
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Motivation aplenty for Central and Trinity in Manchester's annual Turkey Bowl - 3
- Martinez, Rodriguez lift Salem past Lawrence - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: On any given Thursday - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Crimson glide - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: This year, No. 1 is a no-doubter - 1
READER COMMENTS: 23
- Winter storm pushes up East Coast after weekend blast - 0
- Police looking for information about blood on Pelham road - 0
- UNH drops Saturday night game to BC, 2-1 - 0
- Patriots stun Cleveland in another wild comeback - 1
- Mass. man says he may have seen missing Conway girl on video - 2
- 'Unprepared' Canadian hikers rescued from Mt. Washington - 1
- Vemont pair killed, Sunapee man hurt in crash on I-89 in Lebanon - 0
- Napoli returns to Boston with two-year deal - 0
- Celtics come up big against Nuggets - 0
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
UPDATE: 2 dead in I-89 crash in Lebanon, highway northbound restricted to one lane as of 8:20 p.m.
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
UNH lecturers seek to unionize