Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Carp's pinch-hit slam in 10th lifts red-hot Sox over fading Rays
The Red Sox put two on in the 10th against Joel Peralta (2-7) before the Rays brought in right-hander Roberto Hernandez to face Mike Napoli. Hernandez walked Napoli on four pitches and Carp followed by belting the first pitch to straightaway center field as Boston increased its lead in the East to 9 1/2 games over Tampa Bay.
James Loney tied it with a solo home run in the eighth but the Rays could not get anything done against Koji Uehara (4-0) in the ninth.
Evan Longoria and David DeJesus each recorded an RBI double for Tampa Bay, which had its lead for the second AL wild card trimmed to one game over the New York Yankees.
The Red Sox grabbed a 3-0 lead in the third inning on Napoli's two-run double and an RBI groundout from Daniel Nava.
The Rays fought back for a run on DeJesus' double in the bottom of the third and drew to within 3-2 in the seventh when Longoria pushed an RBI double to right-center.
Loney came up with one out in the eighth and lined a high fastball from Brandon Workman into the stands in right to tie it up but Tampa Bay still dropped its 13th game in the last 17 contests.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Red Sox starter Ryan Dempster allowed a run on four hits and five walks in five innings while Rays starter Alex Cobb was charged with three runs and seven hits in 5 2/3 frames. ... Uehara struck out Wil Myers in the eighth to retire his 33rd consecutive hitter, passing Ellis Kinder (1952) for the longest streak in Red Sox history. He finished off a perfect ninth to run the streak to 34 straight. ... The Red Sox clinched their 31st series win of the season - most in the majors.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
- Triumphant Boston celebrates Series in grand style - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: New NHDP campaign calls on Scott Brown to disclose clients - 0
- Glitches resolved in new managed-care Medicaid system - 0
- Two sent to the hospital after Barrington crash - 0
- Two armed robberies overnight in Manchester - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Job applicant charged with helping himself to a couple of bottles of champagne - 2
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand