Home » News » Public Safety
Pelham selectmen fire police officer
PELHAM – During a non-public session Tuesday evening, selectmen voted to uphold Police Chief Joseph Roark's recommendation to fire police officer Eugene Stahl.
The decision by the board comes after a public hearing Aug. 21. Stahl had requested that the meeting be open to the public, although he did not speak during the proceedings.
According to Roark, complaints against Stahl’s conduct on the job go back several years and the police chief said he’s “dealt with Officer Stahl on a variety of occasions.”
Roark said the rising instances involving Stahl pose major concerns about civil liability, citizen safety and the validity of future charges stemming from Stahl’s policing.
Stahl has been on administrative leave for nearly five months.
The selectmen's decision to terminate Stahl went into effect immediately on Tuesday, according to a brief press release sent out by Town Manager Tom Gaydos Wednesday.
“The town handles its personnel matters in accordance with applicable law,” the release said. “Accordingly, the town is unable to add further comment on matters involving town personnel.”
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
When company comes, opt for variety
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride