Home » News » Public Safety
Pelham selectmen fire police officer
PELHAM – During a non-public session Tuesday evening, selectmen voted to uphold Police Chief Joseph Roark's recommendation to fire police officer Eugene Stahl.
The decision by the board comes after a public hearing Aug. 21. Stahl had requested that the meeting be open to the public, although he did not speak during the proceedings.
According to Roark, complaints against Stahl’s conduct on the job go back several years and the police chief said he’s “dealt with Officer Stahl on a variety of occasions.”
Roark said the rising instances involving Stahl pose major concerns about civil liability, citizen safety and the validity of future charges stemming from Stahl’s policing.
Stahl has been on administrative leave for nearly five months.
The selectmen's decision to terminate Stahl went into effect immediately on Tuesday, according to a brief press release sent out by Town Manager Tom Gaydos Wednesday.
“The town handles its personnel matters in accordance with applicable law,” the release said. “Accordingly, the town is unable to add further comment on matters involving town personnel.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Wood-drying kiln heavily damaged by fire - 0
- FinneRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 0
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
- Concrete chunk falls onto sidewalk from Elm Street building in Manchester - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 0
- Another View -- Cass R. Sunstein: The hidden tax you pay when you wait - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Campbell boys pull upset - 0
- Marchand scores 2, B's win - 0
- Where you go to college could be an issue at the polls - 0
- Ex-Nashua deputy police chief sues city and outgoing police chief - 0
- Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four - 0
- Shaheen, Brown supporters gather at final debate - 1
- Senate candidates sharply divided on Islamic threat, Ebola, Obamacare - 16
Trump fired up over NH mailer
School's out for voters